STOCKPORT, is a town, a township, a '''parish''', two sub-districts, and a district, in Cheshire. The town stands on the river Mersey at the influx of the Tame, on the North-western railway at a convergence of five branch-lines, it is 5¾ miles SSE of Manchester; it was anciently called Stockfort, Storefort, and Stokeport. '''St. Peter's''' church was built in 1768. <br>
Stockport is '''ecclesiastically''' cut into the sections of S.-St. Mary, S.-St. Thomas, S.-'''St. Peter''', Bredbury, Disley, Dukinfield, Dukinfield-St. Mark, Dukinfield-St. Matthew, Castle-Hall, High-Lane, Hyde, Hyde-St. Thomas, Marple, Norbury, Portwood, Romiley, Werneth, and Moor.<ref>
Wilson, John Marius, ''[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/entry_page.jsp?text_id=922600 Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales]'' (1870-72). Date Accessed: 8 April 2013</ref><br>
Stockport St Peter, St. Peter's Square. Founded 1765 as a chapel to [[Stockport St Mary, Cheshire]] in 1765. It became a parish church in 1838.