[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham Parishes]]
[[Image:St Peter's Church Monkwearmouth Durham.jpg|thumb|right]]
== Parish History ==
WEARMOUTH, MONK (St. Peter), a '''parish''', in the union of Sunderland, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham. A church district named '''All Saints'''' has been endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, patrons, the Crown, and the Bishop of Durham, alternately. There are places of worship for '''Baptists, Independents, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, members of the Church of Scotland, and Seceders'''.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51383#s10 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''], (1848), pp. 490-494. Adapted. Date accessed: 11 December 2013.</ref>
St Peter Monkwearmouth is an ancient parish and a church stood on the site for many centuries. It is referred to by the Venerable Bede and the early church was built on the banks of the River Wear as part of a monastic settlement by Benedict. The church was restored in 1875 after earlier removal of thirteenth century architecture.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.