== Parish History ==
MIDDLETON-in-Teesdale (St. Mary), a markettown and '''parish''', in the union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham; comprising the chapelry of Egglestone, and the townships of Forest with Frith, Middleton, and Newbiggin. There are places of worship for '''Primitive Methodists, Wesleyans, and Baptists'''. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51149#s1 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''], (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 11 December 2103. </ref>
Middleton-in-Teesdale is an extensive ancient parish, forming the south-western extremity of the county of Durham, and comprises the four townships of Middleton, Eggleston, Newbiggin, and Forest and Frith. Due to its size chapleries and later parishes were formed from within it's boundary. The Church, which is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, replaces one which was standing here of about the date 1160 or 1180. The later church was pulled down in 1876, and the present one built in the same style.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.