[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham Parishes]]
[[Image:Kirk Merrington St John Co Durham.jpg|thumb|right
|Kirk Merrington St John Co Durham.jpg]]
== Parish History ==
MERRINGTON (St. John the Evangelist), a '''parish,''' in the unions of Auckland, Durham, and Sedgefield, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51144#s22 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''] (1848), pp. 291-295. Date accessed: 25 March 2011. </ref>
St John the Evangelist church Kirk Merrington was rebuilt in 1851 on the site of the ancient parish church. The parish is a peculiar belonging to the dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral; the parish includes Chilton, Hett and Middlestone.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.