[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham Parishes]]
<br>[[Image:Thorpe Thewles St James Co Durham.jpg|thumb|right
|Thorpe Thewles St James Co Durham.jpg]]
== Parish History ==
GRINDON (St. Thomas à Becket), [was an ancient] '''parish''', in the union of Stockton, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham; containing, with Whitton township, and
Thorpe, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Stockton, and 15 (S. S. E.) from Durham.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50992#s11 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''], (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 11 December 2013.</ref>
Grindon is an ancient parish but the present church dedicated to St James was built in 1886, There were two former churches in the parish. The former church of St Thomas a Becket appear on the OS map; the newer parish church of St James is near to Thorpe Thewles.