Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search
no edit summary
GAINFORD (St. Mary), a'''parish''', in the unions of Teesdale, Darlington, and Auckland, chiefly in the S. W., but partly in the S. E., division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham; comprising the chapelries of Barnard-Castle, Denton, and Whorlton, and the townships of Bolam, Cleatlam, Gainford, Headlam, Houghton-le-Side, Langton, Marwood, Morton-Tynemouth, Pierse-Bridge, Stainton with Streatlam, Summerhouse, and Westwick. There is a place of worship for '''Wesleyans'''. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A.,[http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50976#s6 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''](1848), pp. 275-279. Adapted. Date accessed: 11 December 2013.</ref>
'''Additional information:'''
Gainford St Mary is an ancient parish and the present church is believed to have been built in the thirteenth century by the community of&nbsp;St Mary's Abbey ,York. The earlier church on the site is referred to by Simeon of Durham as the burial place of Edw or Edwine in 801. He had entered the monastic community of Gainford as a former Northumbrian chief.
{| width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1"
|-
! bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" scopecolspan="col7" colspanscope="7col" | '''GAINFORD PARISH Online Records'''
|-
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | <br>
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
{{Durham}}
[[Category:Durham]]
759

edits

Navigation menu