FERRY-HILL, a '''township''', in the '''parish''' of Merrington, union of Sedgefield, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Bishop-Auckland.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A.,[http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50961#s23 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''] (1848), pp. 230-232. Date accessed: 17 July 2013. </ref>
Ferryhill St Luke was created as a parish in 1843 from part of the ancient parish of Merrington. It included Chilton, Tudhoe and Low Spennymoor. Part of the parish subsequently became Tudhoe Holy Innocents and Chilton St Aidan parishes.<br>
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.