[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Durham Parishes]]
<br> [[Image:St Mary the Less, the chapel of St John's College Durham.jpg|thumb|right]]
== Parish History ==
DURHAM, a '''city''', the '''capital '''of the county of Durham, and the '''head of a union''', 67 miles (E. S. E.) from Carlisle, 87 (N. E.) from Lancaster, 67 (N. W. by W.) from York. The city is surmounted by the '''cathedral '''and the remains of the ancient '''castle''', together with other ecclesiastical residences. The '''college''' was established at the same time as the university. The city comprises several '''parishes: St. Giles (1584), St. Mary Le Bow (1571), St. Mary-the-less (1560), St. Nicholas' (1540), St. Oswald's (1538), St. Margaret's (1557), as well as The (Durham) Cathedral (1609)'''. The parish of Durham St Oswald's also includes the village and chapelry of '''Shincliffe''' (1826) and part of the chapelry of '''Croxdale''' (1696) [see also Merrington Parish]. The chapelry of '''Belmont''' was built in the year 1858 which also stood within the boundary of Durham ancient parish. There are places of worship for the '''Society of Friends, Independents, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics'''. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50932#s1 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''], (1848), pp. 110-121. Adapted. Date accessed: 12 December 2013.</ref>
Durham St Mary le Bow was an ancient '''parish '''and the present church built in 1685 replaced the older church which had fallen into disrepair. The church united two Ancient'''parishes''' of St Mary le Bow and St Mary the Less into one '''parish.'''
[[Image:Durham Heritage Centre Former St Mary-le-Bow.jpg|thumb|center]]
== Resources ==
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.