Jump to navigation Jump to search
Undo revision 1539774 by Olayton2 (talk)
{{Historical populations |width = 10em |shading = on |percentages = off |1801 |70 |1821 |100 |1841 |111 |1851 |117 |1871 | - |1891 |106
ATHELINGTON (St. Peter), a '''parish''', in the union and hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Eye; comprising by measurement 475 acres. The church, which is chiefly in the decorated style, consists of a nave and chancel, with a square tower.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 108-112. Adapted. Date accessed January 9, 2014.</ref>   
ATHELINGTON, or Allington, 4 miles S.E. of Eye, is a small parish of scattered houses. The Church (St. Peter) is a small ancient structure, with a tower and three bells. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £6. 14s. 2d., and now having a yearly modus of £150, and 13a. 3r. 12p. of glebe, of which 1a. is in Horham. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. R. B. Exton, of Cretingham, is the incumbent. Before the Reformation, the prior and convent of Butley were patrons. The Poor's Land, 1a. 3r., is let for £1.16s. a year, which is applied with the poor rates. Two boys from this parish are sent to the endowed free school at Worlingworth. The principal inhabitants are, Thomas Betts, maltster, and brick and tile maker; David Pettit, carpenter&nbsp;; and Fras. Baldry, Grove; Robert Garrard, (Athelington Hall,) Richard Hawes, and Robert Hawes, farmers. [[Suffolk Gazetteers#1844_Gazetteer|William White, 1844, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk]]; page 450. <ref>William White, 1844, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk]]; [[Suffolk_Gazetteers|page 450, Athelington]]</ref>&nbsp; View Picture of [ Athelington Parish Church]
{| width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1"
! bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspanscope="7col" scopecolspan="col7" | '''{{PAGENAME}} Parish Online Records'''
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | <br>
editor, pagecreator


Navigation menu