Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Added to parish history
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk Parishes]]
[[Image:St Peter, Dunton, Norfolk .jpg|thumb|right|St Peter, Dunton, Norfolk .jpg]]
== Parish History ==
DUNTON, with Doughton (St. Mary), a '''parish''', in the union of Walsingham, hundred of Gallow, W. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Fakenham. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [[ http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50931#s23|''A Topographical Dictionary of England'']](1848), pp. 105-110.</ref> <br> <br> Dunton cum Doughton St Peter is an Ancient Parish in the Burnham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.<br>
== Resources ==
*Fakenham 1939-1974
The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.<br>Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: registration.fakenham@norfolk.gov.uk<br>
==== Church records ====
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 215<br>
==== Census records ====
a.&nbsp; {{British Census|438859}}
<br>
==== Poor Law Unions ====
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.<br>Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.<br>RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'. <br>
[[Norfolk Poor Law Unions]]
== Maps and Gazetteers ==
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]
== Web sites ==
 
== Resources ==
 
{{reflist}}
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}
[[Category:Norfolk]]
1,628

edits

Navigation menu