Southwark Christchurch, Surrey Genealogy, England
Guide to Southwark Christchurch, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Southwark Christchurch, Surrey , England|
|Poor Law Union||St Savior's|
|Registration District||St Saviour Southwark|
|Parish registers: 1671|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Southwark, parlimentary borough, Surrey, on river Thames, opposite London city.
Borough Of Southwark. (In the Diocese of Winchester).
The five ancient parishes of Southwark include Christ Church, St Olave, St Saviour, St Thomas, and St George-the-Martyr.
The ecclesiastical arrangement for Southwark included also the following chapelries:
- All Hallow, Copperfield St - 1875
- St Jude - 1850
- St Mary Magdalen - 1843
- St Michael - 1867
- St Paul Westminster Road.- 1858
- St Peter - 1846
- St Stephen - 1850
- St Alphege - 1872
- Wilberforce Mission Church -
The places of worship within the new borough, which includes the parish incumbencies of Horsley-Down, Bermondsey, and Rotherhithe. Included in the borough are the following Nonconformist churches:
- English Presbyterian Church - 1
- Independents - 1
- Baptists - 15
- Quakers - 1
- Unitarians - 1
- Wesleyan Methodists - 7
- Primitive Methodists - 1
- Wesleyan Association - 3
- Wesleyan Reformers - 1
- Welsh Calvinistic Methodists - 1
- Roman Catholics -3
There were four additional unspecified dissenting chapels in the borough as well.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Christ Church, Southwark (official website). History, photographs, visitor directions, service times.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
References[edit | edit source]
- John Bartholomew Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887. Adapted. Date accessed: 18 February 2014.
- London Eccesiastical jurisdiction. A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 18 February 2014.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Christ Church in Southwark Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Southwark Christ Church in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Southwark Christ Church in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Southwark Christ Church in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batches C020702, C020703, C020704, P020701, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- Batches M020701, M020702, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm