Southbroom, Wiltshire Genealogy
Guide to Southbroom, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Potterne and Cannings|
|Poor Law Union||Devizes|
|Parish registers: 1572|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1620-1625; 1663|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BROME, or BROOM, SOUTH, a chapelry, in the parish of Bishop's-Cannings, union of Devizes, hundred of Potterne and Cannings, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, ¼ mile (S. E.) from Devizes. SOUTHBROOM, or St. James, a chapelry in Bishops-Cannings parish, Wiltshire; near Devizes railway station.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Southbroom parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|SOUTHBROOM PARISH Online Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 392-395. Date accessed: 14 October 2013.
- From: 'Brockhampton - Bromeholme', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 392-395. British HistoryDate accessed: 14 October 2013.
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72)
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 10 January 2014.
- 'Wiltshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Wiltshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 January 2014.
- Wiltshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 3 November 2013.
- 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.