South Australia Church Records
|South Australia Wiki Topics|
|South Australia Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- South Australia Baptisms and Confirmations at FindMyPast - index ($)
Church Records available prior to 1842 (registration)[edit | edit source]
Prior to Civil Registration which began on 1 June 1842, the only records available are from various Churches. The following link will take you to the only places you can locate information on Birth, Death and Marriage's available.
After Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Anglican[edit | edit source]
Church of Scotland[edit | edit source]
Lutheran[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Roman Catholic[edit | edit source]
Society of Friends
[edit | edit source]
Other information at State Library of South Australia[edit | edit source]
The following is a summary of the Church records held by the State Library which may be useful to family historians.
- Anglican Church
- Baptist Church
- Congregational Church
- Unitarian Church
- Uniting Church
- Miscellaneous Churches – South Australia
For Further Information
The State Library of South Australia is custodian of records belonging to the following churches:
- Anglican SRG 94
- Baptist SRG 465
- Congregational SRG 95
- Methodist SRG 4
- Presbyterian SRG 123
- Society of Friends (Quaker) SRG 103
- Uniting Church in Australia SRG 198
Although the State Library does not hold the originals we do hold microfilm copies of some records belonging to the Adelaide Hebrew Congregation (SRG 162). The microfilm is in the Family History Area.
The State Library is committed to preserving these church records but does make them available for people to consult in the supervised Somerville Reading Room.
Many of the Anglican Church records are available in the Family History Area on microfilm or microfiche. There is a booklet kept with the films explaining which records are available.
Contained in the Anglican Church records are the registers of Trinity Church later Holy Trinity Church. This was the first church in South Australia and for sometime the only church.