South Australia, Australia Genealogy
Guide to South Australia, Australia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|South Australia Wiki Topics|
|South Australia Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Background Information[edit | edit source]
In July 1836 the Kingscote settlement on Kangaroo Island which lies just off Cape Jervis in South Australia was established only five months before Adelaide was founded. The guiding principle behind the settlement was that of systematic colonisation, the idea was first espoused by Edward Gibbon Wakefield, whose aim was to establish the province as a centre of civilisation for free immigrants, promising civil liberties and religious tolerance. Although its history is marked by economic hardship, South Australia has remained politically innovative and culturally vibrant. Today, the state is known as a state of festivals and of fine wine. The state's economy centres on the agricultural, manufacturing and mining industries and has an increasingly significant finance sector as well. South Australia covers some of the most arid parts of the continent of Australia.
Getting started with South Australia research[edit | edit source]
Regions and Islands of South Australia[edit | edit source]
Kangaroo Island is a pristine wilderness - a place that has offered protection to substantial populations of native Australian animals and a place of beauty. It is 18 km off the coast of South Australia and has a population of just 4,400 people.
Northern Regions and Outback of South Australia
This list is not exhaustive, but includes organisations which are particularly concerned with the history of local areas, the preservation of specific locations, buildings and historic sites, or the operation of historical museums. Not all places have online resources, but they do have addresses that can be written to, and in some cases email addresses.
Clicking on the title above, will take you to a website where you can click on the area you are interested in.
The list is organised according to Local Government Area (LGA). Over the past few years many councils, both municipal and rural, have amalgamated. The list below shows LGA names current at June 1998.
The area consists of the following places:
- Flinders Ranges - includes Hawker, Kanyaka and Quorn
- Mount Remarkable
- Northern Areas iIncludes Booleroo, Georgetown, Gladstone, Jamestown, Laura, Rocky River, Spalding and Yacka
- Orroroo - Carrieton
- Port Augusta
- Port Pirie - includes Crystal Brook and Redhill
- Marree, Radium Hill and Yunta
- Coober Pedy
- Roxby Downs
Beyond South Australian Borders
- Alice Springs, Northern Territory
- Broken Hill, New South Wales
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1838-1912 - Australia, South Australia, Prison Records, 1838-1912 at FamilySearch — index
- 1873-1985 - Australia, South Australia, School Admission Registers, 1873-1985 at FamilySearch — index
- 1849-1940 - Australia, South Australia, Immigrants Ship Papers, 1849-1940 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Australia, South Australia, Will and Probate Records at FamilySearch — index