Somerset, England Genealogy
|Somerset Wiki Topics|
Guide to Somerset ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
County Information[edit | edit source]
“SOMERSET, or Somersetshire, a maritime county; bounded on the NW, by the Bristol channel; on the N, by Gloucestershire; on the E, by Wiltshire(Wilts); on the SE, by Dorset; on the S, by Dorset and Devon; on the W, by Devon.
Somerset is a rural county with rolling hills such as Blackdowns,Mendips and Quantocks . It is also has a national park (Exmoor National park). Somersets greatest length is 71 miles; its greatest breadth is 40 miles... and its area is 1,047,220 acres. From the list of counties of England, Somerset is ranked 22nd for population and 7th for total area.
There have been many People who have settled in Somerset, these include Romans and Anglo-Saxons. The county remained part of the Roman empire until around AD 409. The Roman baths gave there name to the city of Bath. 
Parishes[edit | edit source]
A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U W Y
Use an interactive map to find jurisdictions for each parish in Somerset.
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks
- Online Genealogical Index
- Somerset Resources and help pages on RootsChat Somerset Resources and help pages. (Free).
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/somersetfamilyhistory/ -- This site is for the discussion and research of family history in the County of Somerset, England. Full transcripts of parish registers, and poor laws are available on its 40 affiliated sites. Free membership. Registration required.
- https://www.swheritage.org.uk/somerset-archives Somerset Archives and Local Studies exists to find, preserve and make available written records of Somerset's people and communities. Based at the Somerset Heritage Centre in Taunton.
References[edit | edit source]