Snetterton, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide toSnetterton, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Wayland|
|Parish registers: 1669|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
SNETTERTON (St. Andrew and All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wayland, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (N.) from East Harling. 
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Snetterton, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Snetterton, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 21/1-6
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Genealogy From Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Attew, Marion. The Squires Family Reunited. A history of the Squires family, coming to London from Snetterton, Norfolk, family tree is given starting with James Squires marrying Esther Witham, and their descendants Philip born 1793 and Robert born 1794. Article dates from 1793-1951, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, old series, vol. 7, pt.5, pages 156-157, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j v.7 pt.5
Squires, R.D. From Norfolk to London. Family tree of Robert James Squires and Mary Ann Syzling, and descendants with surnames. Tucker, Hill, Clark, De Vigie, Thompson, Read, Fitzwilliam Birch, Land, Brooks. Family move to Snetterton, Hockham, London - Southwark, and Crayford, Kent. Article dated 1851-1971, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, old series, vol5.pt.4, page78-79. Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j vol.5, pt. 4.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Snetterton on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 126-129. Date accessed: 03 June 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.