Smethcott, Shropshire Genealogy
Guide to Smethcott, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Church Stretton|
|Registration District||Church Stretton|
|Parish registers: 1609|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1630|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
SMETHCOTT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Church-Stretton, hundred of Condover, S. division of Shropshire, 9½ miles (S. by W.) from Shrewsbury. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Smethcott parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|SMETHCOTT PARISH (1609) Online Records|
|IGI||1609-1856||1612-1634, 1660-1667, 1704-1836|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1810-1868 Marr 1800-1836 Bur 1810-1868
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 123-125. Date accessed: 10 July 2012.
- 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 25 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.