Sioux County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Sioux County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sioux County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa, United States Genealogy
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1851|
|County Seat||Orange City|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for the Sioux people. The County has Orange City as its seat and the County was created 1851. The County is located in the northwest area of the state.
Sioux County, Iowa Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
1851--Sioux County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Woodbury County prior to organization 1 January 1860. County seat: Orange City 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|Iowa Gravestones||FamilySearch Places|
|See Iowa Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1895 - Iowa State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Iowa State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1915 - Iowa State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Iowa State Census. 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
Church[edit | edit source]
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Lutheran[edit | edit source]
- Records of the St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Hull, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Court[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local Histories [edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Sioux County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
- 1835-1998 - Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations, ca. 1835-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1949 - Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1862-1910 - Iowa, Records of Persons Subject to Military Duty, 1862-1910 at FamilySearch — index
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1859-1990 - United States, Iowa Naturalization Records, 1859-1990 at FamilySearch — index and images
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- 1885, 1912-1913, 1916-1961, and 1963-1971 — Alton Democrat at Ancestry.com ($) — Alton, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1897-1943, 1947-1954, and 1956-1961 — Boyden Reporter at Ancestry.com ($) — Boyden, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1935-1952. 1959-1967, and 1969-1970 — Sioux County Capital at Ancestry.com ($) — Orange City, Iowa
- 1896-1900, 1902-1903, 1930-1955, 1957-1958, 1961-1966, and 1969-1971 — Sioux Center News at Ancestry.com ($) — Sioux Center, Iowa
- 1913-1941, 1943-1948, 1953, 1955, and 1957-1967 — Sioux County Index at Ancestry.com ($) — Hull, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1951-67 — The Hawarden Independent at Ancestry.com ($) — Hawarden, IA, USA
- 1911-1912, 1915, 1917, 1920, 1927, 1928-1931, 1933, 1935-1937, and 1941-1942 — Ireton Ledger at Ancestry.com ($) — Ireton, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1899-1918 — Bayard Advocate at Ancestry.com ($) — Bayard, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1908, 1911, 1913-1916, 1920, 1922-1923, 1933, 1938, and 1941 — Hospers Tribune at Ancestry.com ($) — Hospers, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1968-71 — The Independent at Ancestry.com ($) — Hawarden, IA, USA
- 1916-1920, 1924, and 1928-1929 — Maurice Times at Ancestry.com ($) — Maurice, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1954 — The Sheldon Mail at Ancestry.com ($) — Sheldon, IA, USA
Probate[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Sioux - Probate records.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
Births[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1939 - Iowa, Delayed Birth Records, 1850-1939 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1921-1942 - Iowa, Birth Records, 1921-1942 at FamilySearch — index and images
Marriages[edit | edit source]
- 1518-1996 - Iowa, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1809-1992 Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992 at MyHeritage ($) — index
- 1836-1926 Iowa, Marriages, 1836 - 1926 at MyHeritage ($) — index
- 1838-1934 - Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1880-1951 Iowa, Marriage Records, 1880-1951 at Ancestry.com ($) — index and images
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1990 - Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1850-1990 at FamilySearch
- 1880-1992 - Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900-1939 Iowa Death Index, 1900-1939 at MyHeritage ($) — index
- 1904-1951 - Iowa, Death Records, 1904-1951 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1920-1967 Iowa, Death Records, 1920-1967 at Ancestry.com ($) — index and images
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Greater Sioux County Genealogical Society
Sioux Center Public Library
102 So. Main Ave
Sioux Center, Iowa 51250
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Libraries
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Sioux County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Sioux County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sioux, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sioux_County,_Iowa."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sioux County, Iowa. Page 230-238 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 222-225.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sioux County, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sioux_County%2C_Iowa, accessed 31 October 2019.