Silesia (Schlesien) Town Genealogies
(Redirected from Silesia Ortsippenbücher)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Silesia (Schlesien), |
German Empire Wiki Topics
|Major Record Types|
|Reading the Records|
|Additional Silesia (Schlesien)|
|Silesia (Schlesien) Background|
|Silesia (Schlesien) Ethnicity|
|Local Research Resources|
|Germany Record Types|
Finding Birth, Marriage, and Death Records for Silesia[edit | edit source]
Town Compilation of Records (Ortssippenbuch or Ortsfamilienbuch)[edit | edit source]
Silesia has a large online collection of town genealogies.
See class Online Ortsfamilienbücher at Genealogy.net.
- An Ortssippenbuch (town lineage book) or Ortsfamilienbuch (town family book) generally includes birth, marriage, and death data for all persons found in the local records during a specified time period, compiled into families. If one is available, it can act as an index or guide to finding the original records. However, they may contain errors, so it is best to verify their information in original records.
- Sources may include the local parish registers, civil registration records, court and land records, and sometimes published material. In the printed book, this information is then arranged in a standardized format, usually alphabetically by surname and chronologically by marriage date.
Finding an OFB[edit | edit source]
- Click here to see OFBs at GenWiki. These are indexed and searchable. OFB Instructions.
- A bibliography of OFBs held by the Central Office for Person and Family History, and available in their archive in Frankfurt am Main-Höchst, is listed here. You can arrange for copied pages to be sent to you for a fee or donation. Use the "Find" function on your keyboard to search the bibliographies, as they are not alphabetical.
- A comprehensive list of links to Silesia OFBs is found at Register of Silesian local family books.