|Shropshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
- The Leintwardine History Society seeks to carry out research and to preserve archives and artifacts relating to all aspects of the history of Leintwardine and surrounding villages of north Herefordshire and south Shropshire.
Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society (Cymdeithas Achyddol Maldwyn)
Tregynon, Newtown SY16 3PL UK
Telephone: 01686 627916
Website: Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society
- The Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society was founded to provide a forum for people with family history interests in the historical county of Montgomeryshire and its borders. Its main aim is to help members trace their Montgomeryshire family histories. It also helps members with family connections in Shropshire, Cardiganshire, Denbighshire, Merionethshire, and Radnorshire.
- The Mortimer History Society was launched in 2009 to provide a focus and forum for all those who are interested in the medieval Mortimer dynasty and the history of the Welsh Marches. As well as developing our knowledge of the local and national history associated with the main Mortimer family, members are actively involved in studying castles, churches, tombs, stained glass, heraldry, artefacts and documents linked to the dynasty. We are interested in all aspects of life on the Welsh borders including the history of the Marcher Lords and the Welsh Princes as well as the exploration of other branches of the medieval Mortimer family. The Society seeks to promote a wider interest in this fascinating period of history among a diverse audience including young people, particularly those living in ‘Mortimer Country’ in the counties of Herefordshire, Shropshire and Powys.
Tenbury Wells & District Civic & Historical Society
Tenbury Wells Pump Rooms
Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire WR15 8BA UK
Telephone: 01584 711425
Website: Tenbury Wells & District Civic & Historical Society
- The Society undertakes and promotes research into local history and works to to preserve the heritage of the aptly named "Town in the Orchard."
Wesley Historical Society - West Midlands Methodist History Society
Telephone: 0121 749 2986
Website: Wesley Historical Society - West Midlands Methodist History Society
- The aims of the Society laid down in 1893 were to promote the study of the history and literature of early Methodism, research into the Wesley's, and investigation into the beginnings and development of Methodism. To study and promote the history of all branches of Methodist history in the West Midlands area. Area: The Birmingham and Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury Methodist Districts.
Shropshire Societies[edit | edit source]
Albrighton & District Historical Society
The Red House Village Hall
Wolverhampton, Shropshire WV7 3LU UK
Telephone: 01902 374889
Website: Albrighton & District Historical Society
- Our enthusiastic society covers the area of Albrighton, Boningale, Tong, and Donington-with-Boscobel in East Shropshire.
Alveley Historical Society
The Old Chapel
Bridgnorth, Shropshire WV15 6NN UK
Telephone: 07876 6599610
Website: Alveley Historical Society
- The Society was formed in March 1976 to research and document the history of the parish and its people.
Aqueduct Local History
Telford, Shropshire TF3 1BX UK
Website: Aqueduct Local History
Bridgnorth & District Historical Society
West Castle Street
Bridgnorth, Shropshire WV16 4AB UK
Telephone: 01746 763860
Website: Bridgnorth & District Historical Society
- The Northgate Museum in Bridgnorth is run and managed by volunteers from the Bridgnorth and District Historical Society, which founded the museum in 1951.
- The Society has an independent reference collection of 'Wilkinson' relics, important local artifacts, photographs, documents and ephemera relating to Broseley's social and industrial past. As further material becomes available this is added to the collection.
- The Cleobury Mortimer & District History Society was founded in 1981 and exists to promote the study and awareness of the history of Cleobury Mortimer and the surrounding parishes.
Dawley History Group
Elephant & Castle
1 High St
Telford, Shropshire TF4 2ET UK
Telephone: 01952 505766
Website: Dawley History Group
- Dawley History Group is a group of interested volunteers keen to find out about and record Dawley rich and colourful past to preserve its history for future generations.
- The Four Parishes Heritage Group was founded in 2005 to research the history of Highley, Kinlet, Billingsley, and Stottesdon as well as surrounding parishes.
- Our focus is to explore the history of our parish, its communities, and those that lived here. The group covers Lawley, Overdale, Old Park, Dawley Bank, Lawley Bank, Newdale, The Rock, Lawley Common, and Lawley Gate.
Ludlow Historical Research Group
Ludlow Library & Museum Resource Centre
Ludlow, Shropshire SY8 2PG UK
Website: Ludlow Historical Research Group
- The Ludlow Historical Research Group was formed in 1976 with the object of researching the town of Ludlow and surrounding countryside.
Madeley History Group
74 High Street
Telford, Shropshire TF7 5AH UK
Telephone: 01952 567288
Website: Madeley History Group
- We have researched local history and produced many leaflets and booklets on various subjects ranging from our local churches, mines and mining, important and famous people of the parish, Public houses and Madeley Court Hotel. Our aim is to make available for all to see the past days of Madeley and surrounding towns.
Madeley Local Studies Group
Website: Madeley Local Studies Group
Newport History Society
Newport, Shropshire TF10 7LD UK
Telephone: 01952 810656
Website: Newport History Society
Website #2: Newport History Society
- The Aims of our active Society are to research, and make known, the heritage of Newport town and its surrounding villages.
Oswestry & Border History & Archaeology Group
Methodist Church Hall
1 Chapel St
Oswestry, Shropshire SY11 1LF UK
Telephone: 01691 654358
Website: Oswestry & Border History & Archaeology Group
- Oswestry & Border History & Archaeology Group or OBHAG is an active and friendly group which focuses on the rich heritage of our area. We cover a broad range of archaeological and historical topics and we are linked with the Oswestry Castle Research Project.
Oswestry Family & Local History Group
Oswestry, Shropshire SY11 1JN UK
Telephone: 01743 250351
Website: Oswestry Family & Local History Group
- Welcome to the home page of Oswestry Family and Local History Group. We are a group of approved volunteers, formed and hosted by Oswestry Library in Shropshire, UK. We are interested in family history and the local history of Oswestry and the neighbouring Shropshire/Welsh border region.
Ruyton XI Towns History Society
Little Ness Road
Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 1LQ UK
Telephone: 01939 260011
Website: Ruyton XI Towns History Society
- The aims of the Society are to promote the advancement of knowledge and understanding of the history, archaeology and architecture of the parish of Ruyton XI Towns and its surrounding area and to investigate and encourage research into the history, archaeology, and architecture of Ruyton XI Towns and its surrounding area.
- The village gained its name in the twelfth century when a castle was built and the village became the focus of eleven local townships, some of which still survive today. The eleven townships in question were: Coton, Eardiston, Felton, Haughton, Rednal, Ruyton, Shelvock, Shotatton, Sutton, Tedsmore, and Wykey. The name of the village has changed a few times from Ruyton of the Eleven Towns or simply Ruyton.
Shifnal Local History Group
Shifnal, Shropshire TF11 8AQ UK
Telephone: 01952 461934/01952 462002
Website: Shifnal Local History Group
- We are local people from all walks of life but with a common interest in the history of Shifnal.
Shropshire Archaeological and Historical Society
Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY2 6ND UK
Telephone: 01743 254622
Website: Shropshire Archaeological and Historical Society
- The Society campaign's for the recording and protection of Shropshire’s rich and varied archaeological heritage. It also promotes and publishes original research into the county’s exciting history and prehistory.
Shropshire Family History Society
The Old Chapel Community Centre
Cross Houses, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY5 6JH UK
Telephone: 01691 653316
Website: Shropshire Family History Society
- The Shropshire Family History Society was founded in 1979 to provide a meeting place in Shropshire for all those interested in Family History.
South West Shropshire Historical & Archaeological Society
Bishop's Castle, Shropshire, SY9 5AY UK
Website: South West Shropshire Historical & Archaeological Society
- The Society frequently organises or participates in exhibitions on local history and archaeology, and publishes an annual journal (from1989) with articles by members and other material of local interest.
Wellington History Group
Wellington Civic and Leisure Centre
Wellington, Shropshire, TF1 1LX UK
Telephone: 01952 402459
Website: Wellington History Group
- Wellington History Group comprises a group of individuals interested in various aspects of the history of our town and has been created to research and publicise the history of the town of Wellington and its neighbourhood, including The Wrekin Hill and The Weald Moors.
Wesley Historical Society - Shropshire Wesley Historical Society
123 Underdale Road
Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY2 5EG UK
Telephone: 01743 369661
Website: Wesley Historical Society - Shropshire Wesley Historical Society
- The aims of the Society laid down in 1893 were to promote the study of the history and literature of early Methodism, research into the Wesley's, and investigation into the beginnings and development of Methodism. Area: Shropshire.
Whitchurch History and Archaeology Group (WHAG)
Senior Citizens Club
Whitchurch, Shropshire SY13 1UY UK
Website: Whitchurch History and Archaeology Group (WHAG)
'Wrekin Historical Group
St. Georges and Priorslee Parish Rooms
Telford, Shropshire TF2 9LQ UK
Telephone: 01952 613055
Website: Wrekin Historical Group
- The Telford Historical and Archaeological Society now known as Wrekin Historical Group was founded in 1981 to explore and promote the extensive Historical and Archaeological riches which exist in the Wrekin area and in the vicinity of Telford, Shropshire.
- The WLSF exists to bring together organizations and individuals interested in local studies in and around the Borough of Telford & Wrekin.