Shipton, Shropshire Genealogy
Guide to Shipton, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Shropshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Church Stretton|
|Registration District||Church Stretton|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1603|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
SHIPTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Market Weighton, union of Pocklington, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, l¼ mile (N. W. by W.) from Market-Weighton;containing 322 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Shipton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|SHIPTON PARISH (1538) Online Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Samuel A. Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 82-85. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51272
- 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 25 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.