Sherrington, Wiltshire Genealogy
Guide to Sherrington, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Branch and Dole|
|Poor Law Union||Warminster|
|Parish registers: 1677|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
SHERRINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Warminster, forming a detached portion of the hundred of Branch and Dole, Warminster and S.divisions of Wilts, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Wiley. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Sherrington parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|SHERRINGTON PARISH Online Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 74-80. Date accessed: 14 October 2013.
- From: 'Shereford - Shifford', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 74-80. British HistoryDate accessed: 14 October 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813', Ancestry, accessed 16 June 2016.
- 'Search more than 99,000 new Wiltshire parish baptism records,' findmypast, accessed 5 June 2014. Coverage year range is not clearly identified.
- 'Wiltshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.
- Wiltshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.