Shernborne, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Shernborne, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Docking|
|Parish registers: 1747|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
SHERNBOURNE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Smithdon, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from Snettisham. 
Shernborne Saints Peter and Paul is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich.
Shernborne may also be spelled Shernbourne in older records.
Shernborne is a civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. For the purposes of local government, it falls within the district of King's Lynn and West Norfolk.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Shernborne, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Shernborne, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office Parish Records of Shernbourne reference PD585
Parish registers for Shernborne Microfilm copy of original filmed at the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library in Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Baptisms, 1749-1787; burials, 1758-1787. Baptisms, 1787-1812; burials, 1788-1811. Baptisms, 1813-1907. Marriages, 1755-1812; marriage banns, 1755-1812, 1872-1897. Marriages, 1814-1838. Marriages, 1837-1902. Burials, 1813-1903. FHL BRITISH Film 1911692 Items 4 - 10
Archdeacons transcripts, 1725-1812 Baptisms 1725-1812 Marriages 1726-1809 Burials 1727-1811 FHL BRITISH Film 1526810 Item 7
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Shernborne on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 74-80. Date accessed: 03 June 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.