Sessay, Yorkshire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
(Redirected from Sessay, Yorkshire Genealogy)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Guide to Sessay, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Sessay, Yorkshire
St Cuthbert Little Sessay Yorkshire.jpg
Type England Jurisdictions
Civil Jurisdictions
Hundred Allertonshire
County Yorkshire, England Genealogy
Poor Law Union Thirsk
Registration District Thirsk
Records begin
Parish registers: 1612
Bishop's Transcripts: 1600
Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Rural Deanery Bulmer
Diocese York
Province York
Legal Jurisdictions
Probate Court Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Location of Archive
Yorkshire Record Office

Parish History[edit | edit source]

Sessay St Cuthbert is an Ancient Parish which includes Hutton Sessay within the parish boundary.

The church of ST. CUTHBERT is modern, having been rebuilt on an old site in 1847–8 and restored in 1883. It consists of a chancel measuring internally 18 ft. 6 in. by 17 ft. 2 in., nave 45 ft. by 21 ft. 8 in. with a south aisle 10 ft. 7 in. wide, west tower 8 ft. square and a south porch.

In the centre of the chancel floor is a brass inscription to Master Thomas Magnus, Archdeacon of the East Riding, parson of the church, who died in 1550. Above is the figure of a priest in surplice, stole and a cope which has the word 'iesvs' on the morse. A scroll contains the prayer 'Jesu fili dei miserere mei.' A shield below the inscription contains the arms of Magnus: Bendy a fesse with a leopard passant between two cinquefoils thereon. In the chief are the words 'As God wyll' in black letter. In the corners of the stone are small brasses containing alternately the Paschal Lamb and a spray of columbine. The tiles on the floor of the chancel contain a D with a viscount's coronet and a shield of Dawnay impaling Bagot, apparently for William Henry seventh Viscount Downe (1846–57), who married Mary Isabel daughter of Richard Bagot, Bishop of Bath and Wells.

On the threshold of the porch is a slab containing the matrices of an inscription and a small figure.

In the churchyard are the stem and base of an old cross, with a restored top.

There are three bells, the tenor of which contains the inscription 'Laudationem loquetur os meum' in Lombardic characters. The second is inscribed 'Renovatur 1720 Thomas Dawney Armiger,' with a (reversed) shield of Dawnay, and in a foliated band below is the maker's name, E. Seller, Ebor. The treble bears the inscription ihc : edmund : darel : et : 1 : ux(or) : ei(us) : g : d : scs : cuthbertus.

The communion plate is modern, given by Viscount Downe in 1847, and consists of chalice, paten and flagon, all of silver-gilt.

The registers begin in 1612.

From A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 1 (1914), pp. 446-449. URL: Date accessed: 14 May 2011.

SESSAY (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Thirsk, wapentake of Allertonshire, N. riding of York, 6¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Easingwould.[1]

Resources[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church Records[edit | edit source]

Online data content from chapelry registers of Sessay exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:

IARC = Internet Archive - free
FS =
ANC = (£)
HATH = - free
JOIN = - (£)
SESSAY PARISH (1600) Online Records


Indexes Images Indexes Images Indexes Images
FS 1600-1837

1777-1778, 1794-1900





AC None



For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Chapelry and comprising the whole ancient parish of Sessay to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the Sessay page.

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes. This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in date.

Records are also available at the North Yorkshire County Record Office.

Census Records[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.

Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]

Thirsk Poor Law Union, Yorkshire Genealogy

Probate Records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848)pp. 48-51. Date accessed: 18 October 2013.