Seisdon Poor Law Union, Staffordshire Genealogy
History[edit | edit source]
SEISDON, a township, and the head of a union, in the parish of Trysull, S. division of the hundred of Seisdon and of the county of Stafford, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Wolverhampton; containing 213 inhabitants. It gives name to the hundred; and also to a poor-law union which comprises 12 parishes or places, 11 of them in the county of Stafford, and one in that of Salop, the whole containing a population of 13,097. Sedlescomb - Selworthy', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 44-48. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51263 Date accessed: 25 March 2011
Seisdon Union comprised the 13 parishes and townships of Bobbington, Codsall-and-Oaken, Enville, Himley, Kinfare, Pattingham, Upper Penn, Lower Penn, Tettenhall, Trysull-and-Seisdon, Wombourn, Woodford Grange, and Rudge. The Union contained about 41,000 acres, and 12,263 inhabitants in 1841.
Seisdon Union Workhouse stood on the Upper Green in Tettenhall. It was an old building which was enlarged in 1836, to accomodate 80 paupers.
Parishes in the Union
[edit | edit source]
Pattingham, Shropshire refers to Rudge which is part of the Pattingham St Chad parish in Shropshire
Tettenhall Regis, Staffordshire
Woodford Grange, Staffordshire