Sedgley, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Sedgley, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Staffordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Dudley|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1673|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Sedgley|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Sedgley All Saints is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
The ancient parish had nine townships: Sedgley, Gornal (traditionally divided into Upper and Lower), Woodsetton, Coseley, Ettingshall, Cotwall End, Gospel End, Brierley (later Bradley). 
SEDGLEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Dudley, N. division of the hundred of Seisdon, S.division of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (N.) from Dudley. There are places of worship belonging to Particular Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Independents, Presbyterians, and Roman Catholics.
All Saints' Church is a parish church which is situated in the town centre. The first All Saints' Church was built during the 12th century but the current structure was completed in 1829 and has a capacity to seat more than 1,300 people. Seating was reduced first in 1882, and the church now holds a few hundred. The organ which was fitted in the church on its completion had originally been in Westminster Abbey. The church is located on the corner of Vicar Street and Dean Street, with the modern vicarage and church hall on the opposite side of Vicar Street.
At the time, it was the only parish church in the large but relatively lightly populated parish of Sedgley, but the parish was later divided into five ecclesiastical districts - Sedgley, Lower Gornal, Upper Gornal, Ettingshall and Coseley. Each of these newly-created parishes had their own church.
The place name Sedgley was first mentioned in a 985 charter from King Æthelred to Lady Wulfrūn, when describing the Wolverhampton border. The original Old English place name was 'Secg's lēah' - Secg being a personal name (meaning sword bearing man or warrior) and lēah meaning wood, glade or woodland clearing (so, the lēah belonging to Secg).
In 1897, the villages of Coseley, Ettingshall and Brierley broke away from the Manor of Sedgley to form the Coseley Urban District Council. At the same time, Sedgley Urban District Council was formed to include the rest of the manor, apart from Gospel End - which then became part of Seisdon Rural District, although it is still part of the Sedgley DY3 postal district. The entire area was part of the Wolverhampton Parliamentary Borough, created in 1832.
Sedgley Urban District Council survived until 1966 when the majority of the area became part of Dudley County Borough, which at the same time also took in the urban district councils of Coseley and Brierley Hill. Some parts of Sedgley were placed in South Staffordshire and Wolverhampton, while small sections of Coseley became part of Sandwell and Wolverhampton.
Sedgley developed from a village into a town after World War I when thousands of residential and commercial properties were developed across the area by the council and by private developers. Most of the houses in Sedgley were built in the 1950s and 1960s, in response to the development of Baggeridge Colliery which closed on March 2, 1968. The land was bought by Seisdon Rural District Council and it was granted country park status in 1970. On January 12, 1981, full reclamation of the land commenced.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Sedgley All Saints parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|SEDGLEY ALL SAINTS PARISH (1558) Online Records|
|FREG||1558-1602, 1725-1809||1580-1602, 1725-1787, 1800-1812, 1839-1843||1580-1602, 1725-1778, 1801-1908|
Deposited parish registers at Dudley Archives; Staffordshire Record Office have microform only Bap 1558-1899 Mar 1558-1954 Bur 1558-1923
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1673-1853 Mar 1673-1832 Bur 1673-1853 Missing Bap 1833-1836, Mar 1831, Bur 1831, 1833-1836
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Sedgley, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 40-44. Date accessed: 05 November 2012.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 September 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8