The History of Helgoland[edit | edit source]
Dark Ages[edit | edit source]
Helgoland is a refuge for pirates
1714[edit | edit source]
The island becomes Danish. Danish census of 1803 for Landschaft Helogland on International film 39051
1807[edit | edit source]
Helgoland is in British possession until 1890.
1890[edit | edit source]
Helgoland is exchanged for the German colony Zanzibar. It belongs to Prussia, Schleswig-Holstein, Süderdithmarschen from Feb. 18, 1891 to 30 Sept 1922
1939-1945[edit | edit source]
Helgoland served as a German U-boat harbor
1952[edit | edit source]
Helgoland becomes part of Schleswig-Holstein (amtsfreie Gemeinde, Kreis Pinneberg)
Churches on Helgoland[edit | edit source]
1. Evangelical-Lutheran church (parish: St. Nicolai, Schulweg 648, 27498 Helgoland) firstname.lastname@example.org
For records please write to Kirchenkreis Süderdithmarschen, Nordermarkt 8, 25704 Meldorf, Germany
Family names for Helogland available on International film 1183657 item 2-5
2. Roman Catholic church (parish: St. Michaels-Kirche)
There is an online family lineage book for Helgoland.
Genealogical research - Helgoland[edit | edit source]
In the 16th to 18th century Helgoland belonged administratively speaking to Copenhagen with administrators situated in Gottorf. To influence local administration a so called “Landvogt” was installed on the island. This was usually a military commander, who usually was not a native son. He formed a staff with 5 other leaders. They were known as the six councilors. They oversaw the administrative and legal business concerning the island. The councilors received support from 8 quartermasters who were over 4 quarters of the island with 16 elders at their side. These administrative measures as well as the economic situation on the island did not change for the roughly 2000 inhabitants until the 19th century.
During the British reign in the 19th century, Helgoland came under the colonial administration with a governor at the helm. His frequent reports to the home land were written in blue books. In 1864 Helgoland received a new constitution. The old form of government was replaced by an Executive Council with five members. They had an advisory function only. In the legal department several new courts were established, the Court of Sessions as the highest court, further a police court and a wreck court.
Helgoland came under Prussian rule in 1891 and was part of the Landgemeinde Süderdithmarschen.
The repository for Helgoland is the Landesarchiv Schleswig, where in Abt.174 documents for the cultural area and crown colony Helgoland 1500-1890 can be found. In Abt. 131 “Landgemeinde Helgoland 1865-1943” and in Abt. 320.22 “Inselkreis Helgoland 1890-1932” further documents are available for perusal. The archival inventory is online, enter Helgoland.