Sacramento Indian Agency (California)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The Sacramento Agency was created 1 October 1923 by the consolidation of the Round Valley Agency, Greenville Agency, Tule River Agency, and part of the Reno Agency jurisdictions. The Sacramento Agency was super-ceded by the California Agency in 1947.
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Some records for the Sacramento Agency, 1911-1947, are in the Pacific Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in San Francisco, including:
- Allotment register, 1906-1928
- School census cards, 1920-1940
- Day school records, 1923-1932
- Supplement to census roll of California Indians, 1928
- Student case files, 1933-1945
- And other administrative and fiscal records, 1911-1947
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1926 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 417. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm number 581450- 581451). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
Records Available through the Family History Library[edit | edit source]
- Birth and Death 1924-1932 (Indian Census supplemental roll- above) FHL film 581450
- Census Records, 1923-1939. FHL films: 581450 - 581451
- Census Records, 1928, 1935. FHL films: 976980 item 7 and 976982
- Heirship early 1900's. FHL film: 977774
- Vital Records, 1910-1947. FHL films: 976980-976982
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy 595, p. 51
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.