Romford, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Romford, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Edward's Church, Romford
|Hundred||Havering atte Bower Liberty|
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Romford|
|Parish registers: 1561; For more records see Hornchurch|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1766|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Hornchurch|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Romford, is a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Essex. The town is on a small affluent of the River Thames, and on the Eastern Counties railway, 12 miles ENE of Bishopsgate, London. It has a head post-office and there is a railway station with telegraph. There are three dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, an Independent chapel, as well as a Wesleyan chapel.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Online Images are available Essex Record Office St Edward the Confessor (St mary the Virgin and St Edward) See also the numerous churches in Romford.
Romford parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|Romford Online Parish Records|
- St John the Divine, Mawney Road
Baptisms, Marriages 1928-date: Not deposited
- St Michael & All Angels, Main Road, Gidea Park
Baptisms, Marriages 1930-date: Not deposited
- St Thomas, Noak Hill. Formed 1841
- The Ascension, Collier Row. Formed 1880 as mission church. Parish created 1927
- St Edward (Roman Catholic), Park End Road
Baptisms 1852-date, Marriages 1857-date: Not deposited; Death register: 1858-1877: WDA
- Congregational Chapel, Hornchurch Lane
Baptisms 1812-1818: PRO
- Congregational Chapel, South Street
Baptisms 1779-1854; Baptisms 1904-1943; Marriages 1904-1943; Burials 1781-1855: ERO
- Methodist Chapel, Victoria Road
Baptisms 1936-1961: ERO
- Primitive Methodist Circuit
Baptisms 1861-1916: ERO
- Romford Baptist Chapel
Marriages 1937-1943: ERO
- Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Baptisms 1835-1837: ERO
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Particular Baptist
- Society of Friends (Quaker)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Romford on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted, date accessed: 18 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 5 September 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.