Riverton FamilySearch Library/Youth Conference
Our Youth Conference opportunities are not being offered in 2021.
"Turning the Hearts" - Youth Conferences[edit | edit source]
Youth conference is an opportunity to help youth learn, grow, and have an uplifting spiritual experience. Family history can be a valuable experience for youth conference. The activities are designed to help youth and their leaders feel the Spirit of Elijah and experience how its influence can bless the lives of both the living and the dead through family history and temple ordinance work. Our purpose for the conferences is to turn the hearts of our youth to their fathers.
This year wards and stakes can tailor a family history experience for their interests and the amount of time they have available. Groups may come for a few hours or the entire day, choosing presentations that match their goals and experience levels. Each presentation and related practice takes up to ninety minutes. We also include fun activities to help youth get to know their ancestors and each other. The youth conference coordinator will work with each ward or stake to develop a program specifically for their youth.
Apostles have promised wonderful blessings to youth who participate in family history:
- Your conversion to the Savior will become deeper.
- You will receive light and knowledge through the Holy Ghost.
- Your testimony will be strengthened.
- Your patriarchal blessing will become more meaningful.
- Your love and gratitude for your ancestors will grow.
- You will have greater opportunities to serve.
- Your service in the temple will become more sacred.
- You will be protected from the increasing influence of the adversary.
Youth Conference Activities[edit | edit source]
Presentations Available[edit | edit source]
Wards can chose to participate in the following presentations:
Getting Started in Family History--Discusses the various goals and purposes of family history; how to navigate around the pedigree views and personal pages, icons in Family Tree; how to reserve names for temple ordinances. For those who are brand new to family history and not overly confident on computers.
Finding a Relative to Take to the Temple-- Discusses the Apostolic Temple Challenge, descendancy research to find descendants of your ancestors; the importance of reviewing and attaching sources; finding complete information. For those comfortable navigating around Family Search, who have well-completed pedigrees.
Indexing: Introduction to indexing, for all levels.
Finding a Pioneer Ancestor--for those preparing for a Trek experience
Discovering Ancestors' Stories, Pictures, and Memories
Recording your own History--using the Family Story Room, youth can record their story, interests, and goals.
Discovery Activities[edit | edit source]
During the conference, youth can participate in:
- Picture My Heritage—put their face into old-fashioned photos, add their friends’ faces.
- Family Story Room—record their testimony, thoughts about their life, goals, and hopes. For an individual or a small group, up to 10 people. USB drives for use in the Family Story Room must be a minimum of 8 GB (for recording up to two hours) and be in their original, unopened package.
- Printing-Participants can print a personal 5, 7, or 9 generation fan chart of their ancestors.
- Relative Finder—see how they are related to the other members of the youth conference and to famous people.
- RootsMapper— plot their family tree on an interactive map.
- Scan photos directly to Family Tree.
- Smartphone Apps for family history.
When youth participate in fun family history Discovery activities, they are six times more likely to take names to the temple.
Logistics[edit | edit source]
Reservations[edit | edit source]
Reservations will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis. Book early to secure a date. After you submit the registration, the youth conference coordinator will call to schedule the time of day and presentations you request.
Group Sizes[edit | edit source]
The library can accommodate ward or multi-ward groups with a maximum of 75 youth and leaders.
Cost[edit | edit source]
All training material for the workshops will be furnished for participants at no cost. There will be a no charge for optional printing of pedigree fan charts.
Lunch is available at the Riverton Office Building cafeteria or groups can bring their own. The cost of lunch is $5.50 for a hamburger, fries and a large drink. The cafeteria accepts all forms of payment, including direct charges to ward accounts.
Preparation[edit | edit source]
Detailed instructions for participants will be sent to leaders following registration. All participants are encouraged to register for an Member account before they come. Youth and leaders need to have access to their username and password to participate fully in the conference activities.
Contact Us[edit | edit source]
Email Riverton_FamilySearch_Library@ChurchofJesusChrist.org or call 801-240-9601 with any questions.
Maintained by: Elder Tom Stubben
Last modified: 02/26/20