Riverton FamilySearch Library/Boy Scout Workshop
With the library closed due to COVID-19, our Scouting Workshop opportunities are not being offered and this page has not been updated.
Scouting Workshop: Genealogy Merit Badge[edit | edit source]
The library offers a monthly workshop to help Boy Scouts earn the Genealogy Merit Badge. The workshop is held the second Saturday of each month from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. when the library reopens.
Next workshop will be:[edit | edit source]
Saturday September 12, 2020 if open: [edit | edit source]
Presented by Pat O'Toole
No registration is necessary.
Requirements to be completed "BEFORE" coming to the library:[edit | edit source]
- Please make sure your Scout has an Member account. For those who have an account, have them sign into https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/ or any other church site to make sure it is working.
- For non-member youth or those who do not have an account, please register for one by going to https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/ and clicking on the "Free Account" button and entering the necessary information. Youth under 13 years of age must have parental authorization to create an account.
- Contact a family member by telephone, email, or letter, and interview them about their life. Ask about events that have occurred and where they happened. Record the information you learn and bring this information to the workshop.
- Complete a pedigree chart. Click here for a .pdf fill-in pedigree chart. The information can also be handwritten. List yourself and at least two additional generations. Bring this information to the workshop.
- Complete two family group sheets, one listing your parents and all of the children in your family and another listing one of your parents and their siblings in a family group with your grandparents.
Click here for a .pdf fill-in family group sheet. The information can also be handwritten. Bring this information to the workshop.
- Please also bring the name of an ancestor or relative who was alive in 1940.
- List eight to ten important events in your life (timeline) and bring the list to the workshop.
- Using your timeline, write a short autobiography of your life, and bring it to the workshop.
If Scouts complete the items above before coming to the library and bring their documents with them, they will be able to complete the following requirements at the library. Authorized Library Staff will certify the completion of their merit badge requirements.
- Define the terms "genealogy," "ancestor," and "descendant."
- Name three types of genealogical records. Explain how they help you chart your family tree. Obtain one genealogical document that supports your family tree and evalutate this information.
- Contact a genealogical repository.
- Explain the effects of computers and the Internet on genealogy. Explain how photography and microfilm have influenced genealogy.
- Discuss what you have learned about your family through your genealogical research.
Maintained by: Elder Pat O'Toole
Last modified: 5/10/2020