Rice County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Rice County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Rice County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 5, 1853|
|Address||Rice County Courthouse|
320 NW 3rd Street
Faribault, MN 55021-5146
Rice County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 ==== Lutheran ====
- 6.1 Court
- 6.2 Emigration and Immigration
- 6.3 City Directories
- 6.4 People in Books
- 6.5 Land
- 6.6 Local Histories
- 6.7 Maps
- 6.8 Military
- 6.9 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 6.10 Newspapers
- 6.11 Obituaries
- 6.12 Obituaries
- 6.13 Probate
- 6.14 Taxation
- 6.15 Vital Records
- 6.16 Societies and Libraries
- 6.17 Websites
- 6.18 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for Henry Mower Rice (November 29, 1816 – January 15, 1894) was a fur trader and an American politician prominent in the statehood of Minnesota. The County is located in the southeast area of the state. 
Rice County, Minnesota Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Clerk District Court has birth, death, divorce
and court records from 1870,
marriage records from 1856 and burial Records.
County Recorder has land records. 
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
- 1853--Rice County was created 5 March 1853 from Dakota and Wabasha Counties. County seat: Faribault 
- For a brief history of Rice County's name, click here, then select Rice County.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|MNGenWeb Archives||FamilySearch Places|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
Database of Graves - John Dalby started walking cemeteries in 1983 with his wife Jan. They finished Rice County and in doing so, they decided to walked other cemeteries in selected counties in southern Minnesota. This lead to indexing: graves from all cemeteries, history books, plats, and newspaper articles. Also, recording and indexing church records, marriages, birth, Civil War veterans and city directories of Rice County. New data is entered and updated daily. See other "Database" links under Rice County.
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Church[edit | edit source]
Database of Birth, Marriage, and Death Records - Starting dates of records are births (1800), marriages (1860) and deaths (1880)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
==== Lutheran ====[edit | edit source]
Fox Lake Lutheran Church, Faribault
- Records of Fox Lake Lutheran Church, Faribault, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. John's Lutheran Church, Northfield
- Records of St. John's Lutheran Church, Northfield, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Valley Grove, Nerstrand
- Records of Valley Grove Lutheran Church, Nerstrand, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
City Directories[edit | edit source]
People in Books[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Rice – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Rice County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
Civil War service men from Rice County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Rice County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Companies A and H.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company G.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Company G.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company H.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
- - 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
- - 7th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - 8th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company B.
- - 10th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company H.
- - 2nd Minnesota Company Sharpshooters, Second Company only.
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Minnesota, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1947 at FamilySearch — index and images
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1872-1962 - Minnesota Naturalization Records and Indexes, 1872-1962 at FamilySearch — index
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Rice County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1900-1934 Minnesota, Birth Index, 1900-1934 at MyHeritage($) — index
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1850-2019 WEB: Minnesota, Marriages from the Minnesota Official Marriage System, 1850-2019 at Ancestry($) — index
- 1860 - 1949 Minnesota, County Marriages, 1860-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1870 - Database of Marriage Records beginning in 1870
- 1976-2003 Minnesota, Marriages, 1976-2003 at MyHeritage($) — index
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-2001 - Minnesota, County Deaths, 1850-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1887-2001 - Minnesota Deaths, 1887-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1904-2001 Minnesota, Death Index, 1904-2001 at MyHeritage($) — index
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Rice County Genealogical Society
Northfield Historical Society Museum
Marston Headley Research Room
408 Division St
Rice County Historical Society
1814 N.W. 2nd Avenue
Faribault, MN 55021
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Rice County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_County,_Minnesota accessed 14 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Rice County, Minnesota. Page 362-370 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 362-365.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Rice County, Minnesota page 368, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Rice County, Minnesota," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_County%2C_Minnesota, accessed 19 February 2020.
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.