Rhosllannerchrugog, Wrexham, Wales Genealogy
A guide to genealogy in Rhosllannerchrugog, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
Rhosllannerchrugog (formerly written in English as Rhosllanerchrugog) is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Wrexham, Wales Genealogy, Wales. The community contains the villages of Rhosllannerchrugog, Ponciau, Pant and Johnstown.
History[edit | edit source]
Literally translated the name comes from the Welsh: rhos "moor"; llannerch "glade"; grugog "heathery" hence "Moor of the Heathery Glade." It is often known simply as Rhos. With a population of approximately 10,000 the modern community of Rhosllannerchrugog is one of the largest in Wales.
The village was originally within the ancient parish of Ruabon and the district was referred to as Morton Above (i.e. Morton, or moor town, above Offa's Dyke) or Morton Wallichorum (the Welsh Morton). In 1844 Morton Above became part of the newly created parish of Rhosllannerchrugog.
The parish church of St. John the Evangelist, built on the outskirts of the village in 1852, was consecrated on 4 October 1853. Although now closed, the building is listed, Grade II. A cemetery surrounds the church and was later extended as a civil cemetery. St. David's church, in the centre of the village, now acts as the parish church.
The development of the village can be attributed largely to the coal seams of north-east Wales that pass beneath it, leading to the establishment of a large coal mining community during the 18th century. A symbol of Rhos' coal-mining heritage is seen in the "Stiwt", the miners' institute on Broad Street. This was erected and paid for by the miners, during the general strike of 1926, as a social and cultural centre for the community.
The Welsh Religious Revival of 1904 had a major impact on Rhosllannerchrugog. The famous bardic line Beibl a Rhaw i Bobl y Rhos (English: a Bible and a Spade for the People of Rhos) reflects the importance of both coal-mining and the chapels on the village's culture and heritage. The predominantly Welsh language churches and chapels impacted greatly on the linguistic and cultural profile of the area. One result of this is that although only nine miles from the English border and surrounded by English-speaking villages, Welsh is still spoken as a community language in Rhosllannerchrugog.
For more information see:
|County bef 1974||add here|
|County 1 Apr 1974-31 Mar 1996||add here|
|County 1 Apr 1996 -||add here|
|Civ Reg District||add here|
|Reg Sub-district||add here|
|Probate Court||add here|
|Rural Deanery||add here|
|Poor Law Union||add here|
Administration[edit | edit source]
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
Records[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
The parish of Rhosllannerchrugog formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
|1851||HO107/2502 folios 266-378|
|1861||RG9/4282 folios 64-74|
RG9/4283 folios 1-80
|1871||RG10/5653 folios 76-189|
|1881||RG11/5512 folios 11-end|
RG11/5514 folio 124
|1891||RG12/4612 folios 72-190|
RG12/4613 folio 1-153
Church Records[edit | edit source]
- The following Rhosllannerchrugog Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Records Office in Ruthin:
|Baptisms||1853 - 1906|
|Marriages:||1854 - 1930|
|Burials||1853 - 1920|
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published several volumes of the Rhosllannerchrugog parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Rhosllannerchrugog parish.
Nonconformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
The following chapel records from Rhosllannerchrugog parish are available on the IGI:
|Bethlehem Independent Chapel ("Capel Bychan"), Rhosllannerchrugog||1810-1831||C101761|
|Jerusalem Calvinistic Methodist ("Capel Mawr"), Rhosllannerchrugog||1810-1837||C101871|
Civil Records[edit | edit source]
The Registry Office was in High Street, Ruabon. Births, marriages and deaths in Rhosllannerchrugog are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Ruabon||Wrexham||XXVII (1837-51)|
Poor Law Union Records[edit | edit source]
Rhosllannerchrugog was part of the Wrexham Union which was created on 30 March 1837. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
- St. John's Churchyard, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
- Rhosllannerchrugog (Wern) Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
- Mynydd Seion Cemetery, Chapel Street, Ponciau
- Soar Scotch Baptist Cemetery, Aberderfyn, Ponciau
The Clwyd Family History Society have published the Monumental Inscriptions from Mynydd Seion and Soar Scotch Baptist cemeteries.
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
A weekly bilingual newspaper, the Rhos Herald, was founded by Richard Mills in 1894 in Hall Street. A total of 3,737 issues were published from 18 August 1894 to 31 December 1966.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Ordnance Survey map of Rhosllannerchrugog
- Rhosllannerchrugog Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- Rhosllannerchrugog War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- Johnstown War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- Rhosllanerchrugog at Wikipedia
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Hanes Rhosllannerchrugog (The History of Rhosllannerchrugog) (1945) J. Rhosydd Williams
- Through These Windows, A Place and Its People (1981) Bill Portmadoc-Jones.
- Rhos-Llannerch-Rugog: Atgofion - Memories of Rhosllannerchrugog (1955) William Phillips
- Rhosllannerchrugog, Johnstown, Ponciau, Penycae, a collection of pictures (2 volumes, 1991-92), Dennis W Gilpin