Ramsey, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Ramsey, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St. Michael Ramsey, Essex
|Poor Law Union||Tendring|
|Parish registers: 1645|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Ramsey, is a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village is on a creek of the River Stour, 2 miles W by S of Dovercourt railway station, and 3 miles WSW of Harwich; and has a post-office under Harwich.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Ramsey parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ramsey Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Ramsey on GENUKI
- British Listed Building http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-120292-parish-church-of-st-michael-ramsey-and-p
- Harwich peninsula parish website http://www.harwichpeninsulaparish.co.uk/st_michaels.html
- Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted, date accessed: 19 May 2013.
- Searching Parish Records online (Essex) - The Following Parishes are Available at TheGenealogist, ParishRegister.co.uk, accessed 23 April 2019.