|Quebec Research Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Quebec genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The major periodicals and magazines helpful for research in Quebec include:
- Across the Border 1988–. Quarterly. Text in English. Published privately by Diana Hibbert Bailey. Available from Claudette Maerz, 10925 Ewing Avenue South, Bloomington, Minnesota, USA 55431 USA. Family History Library book 971.4 D25ab. Gives information about English-speaking ancestry in northern Vermont and the Eastern Townships of Québec.
- Connections 1978–. Quarterly. Text in English. Published by the Quebec Family History Society, 153 rue Ste-Anne, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC H9X 1M5. Family History Library book 971.4 D25c. Includes family histories, immigration lists, transcripts of cemetery and vital records, how-to articles, and queries about English- and French-speaking families of Québec.
- L'Ancêtre (The Ancestor) 1974–. Monthly. Text in French. Published by the Société de généalogie de Québec, Case postale 9066, Sainte-Foy QC CANADA G1K 7N3. Family History Library book 971.4 D25a. Gives information mostly about French Canadian families in the city of Québec and surrounding area. Includes how-to articles and describes newly acquired materials.
- Mémoires de la société généalogique canadienne-française 1944–. Quarterly. Text in French. Published by the Société Généalogique Canadienne-Française, Case postale 335, succ. Place d'Armes, Montréal QC CANADA H2Y 3H1. FHL book 971 C4s. This is the oldest genealogical periodical published in Canada. Each volume includes its own index. A comprehensive index to every name in the first 32 volumes is available at FHL book 971 C4s index.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Quebec periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Quebec-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.