Prestbury, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Prestbury, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Gloucestershire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Cheltenham|
|Parish registers: 1633|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1601|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
PRESTBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Cheltenham, Lower division of the hundred of Deerhurst, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 1¼ mile (N. E.) from Cheltenham. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Prestbury, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|PRESTBURY PARISH Online Records|
Non-conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1642-1996 England, Gloucestershire Non-conformist Records, 1642-1996 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 605-609. Date accessed: 08 January 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 17 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 23 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 20 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 28 June 2016.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 28 April 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.