Poynton with Worth, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Poynton with Worth, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poynton with Worth, Cheshire|
Poynton St George Cheshire
|County||Cheshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Macclesfield|
|Parish registers: 1723|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1723|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Poynton with Worth or Poynton, is a chapelry, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester; containing, with the township of Worth. The chapel, dedicated to St. Thomas, was rebuilt by Sir G. Warren, in 1786.
Poynton St George was created as an ancient chapelry in Prestbury, Cheshire Genealogy Ancient Parish. The church dates from 1859.
The name of Poynton is of Saxon origin, but the settlement was omitted in the Domesday survey. The first mention of the manor of Poynton is in 1289 when it was part of the barony of Stockport. Past names include Ponynton and Poynington.
Sir George Warren was a promoter of the extension of the turnpike road from Manchester by way of Hazel Grove to Sandon in Staffordshire where it joined what is now the A51 road.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Poynton with Worth St George chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|Poynton with Worth St George Chapelry (1723) Online Records|
|FS BT'S||1723-1863|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Parish transcripts can be searched online at Cheshire Parish Register project.
- High Lane, St. Thomas (C of E). The parish church for part of Poynton from 1860.
- Prestbury, St. Peter (C of E). The ancient parish church for Poynton.
- Poynton, St. George (C of E). An ancient chapelry in Prestbury parish, becoming the parish church for Poynton and Worth in 1871. Registers of Baptisms 1723–1988, Marriages 1723–53 & 1859–1994 and Burials 1795–1941 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office. Microfilm of originals in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester.
Poynton was a village, township, and a chapelry in Prestbury parish. It later became a parish. Cheshire Record Office: P247/5123/1, 4-7, 14, P247/1/1-2, P247/2/1-2, P247/3.
|Parish Transcript Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1723-1868. Marriages, 1723-1753. Baptisms, 1795-1868 Chapelry of Norbury, 1812-1829.||BRITISH 2149189 Items 2 - 5|
|Baptisms, 1868-1959. Marriages, 1859-1947.||BRITISH 2149188|
|Baptisms, 1868-1958. Marriages, 1859-1936.||BRITISH 2149189 Items 6 - 9|
|Banns of marriages, 1859-1934.||BRITISH 2149189 Item 1|
|Marriages, 1936-1947. Burials, 1840-1883.||BRITISH Film 2149219 Items 1 - 2|
Bishop's transcripts for Poynton and Norbury, 1723-1864 Microfilm of originals in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester. Includes the joint registers with the Chapelry of Norbury, 1813-1829. Chapelry of Poynton in Prestbury parish; chapelry of Norbury in Stockport parish.Cheshire Record Office: EDB 171
|Bishop's transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, 1723-1726, 1733-1753. Baptisms,1727-1733, 1754-1802, 1804-1805, 1807-1827, 1829, 1831-1840, 1863. Baptisms, burials, 1840-1862.||BRITISH 1647669 Item 3|
|Baptisms, burials, 1863, burials, 1864.||BRITISH 1647670 Item 1|
|Marriages at Poynton-cum-Worth, 1723-1753.||BRITISH 88607 Item 2|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1600s-1910 Cheshire Non-Conformist & Roman Catholic Registers (Baptism) 17th Century-1910 at FindMyPast ($); index and images (dates may vary by parish)
- 1671-1900 England, Cheshire Non-conformist Records, 1671-1900 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Poynton, Baptist Union Chapel, Park Lane. Built in 1867.
- Poynton, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Park Lane. Built in 1845.
- Poynton, Methodist Chapel (Free), Clumber Road. Built in 1846.
Register of baptisms for Poynton United Methodist Free Church, 1857-1943 Microfilm copy of original records in the Stockport Central Library, Cheshire, England. 1857-1867, 1897-1943 FHL BRITISH Film 1655521 Items 2-3 Cheshire Non-conformist records are available online in FamilySearch Historical Records (formerly Record Search)
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Macclesfield (1837–80) after 1880 see Poynton-with-Worth, Prestbury sub-district of Macclesfield Post
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Poynton with Worth on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, publ. London: (1848). Date Accessed: 25 Jan 2013
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'CPR Project Progress (As on 17 January 2014),' Cheshire Parish Register Project, accessed 1 February 2014.
- Cheshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 16 October 2013.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 25 April 2014.