Powerstock with West Milton, Dorset Genealogy
Guide to Powerstock with West Milton, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Powerstock with West Milton, Dorset|
|Hundred||Eggerton; Poorstock Liberty|
|County||Dorset, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Beaminster|
|Parish registers: 1568; Separate registers exist for West Milton beginning 1837|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1732|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset History Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
POORSTOCK, a village and a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset. The village stands on an affluent of the River Brit, near the Bridport railway, 4 miles N E of Bridport. The parish includes the tythings of West Milton, Mappercombe, Nettlecombe, South Poorton, Witherston, and part of Loscombe.
Known as Poorstock or Powerstock.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Powerstock with West Milton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|Powerstock with West Milton Online Parish Records|
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 09 July 2013.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 24 June 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 5 July 2012.
- 'Dorset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.