Poulshot, Wiltshire Genealogy
Guide to Poulshot, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Wiltshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Devizes|
|Parish registers: 1627|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1596|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
POULSHOT (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Devizes, hundred of Melksham, Devizes and N. divisions of Wiltshire. It is located on an affluent of the river Avon, 2½ miles S S E of Seend railway station 3¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Devizes.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Poulshot, Wiltshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|Poulshot, Wiltshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist[edit | edit source]
- 1810-1987 Wiltshire, England, Non-Conformist Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1810-1987 at Ancestry ($); index and images (dates may vary by parish)
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 602-605. Date accessed: 09 October 2013.
- From: 'Potsgrove - Poundstock', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 602-605. British HistoryDate accessed: 09 October 2013.
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72)
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 10 January 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Wiltshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 January 2014.
- 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.