Poplar All Saints, Middlesex Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Guide to Poplar All Saints, Middlesex ancestry, family history, and genealogy: Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Poplar All Saints, Middlesex
Type England Jurisdictions
Civil Jurisdictions
Hundred Ossulstone (Tower Division)
County Middlesex, England Genealogy
Poor Law Union Poplar
Registration District Poplar
Records begin
Parish registers: 1711
Bishop's Transcripts: 1813
Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Rural Deanery Not created until 1858
Diocese London
Province Canterbury
Legal Jurisdictions
Probate Court Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
Location of Archive
London Metropolitan Archives

Parish History[edit | edit source]

POPLAR (All Saints [registers begin in 1653]), formerly a hamlet with Blackwall, but now a parish, and the head of a union, in the Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, County of Middlesex, 3 miles east by south of London. There are places of worship for Baptists, Presbyterians, Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics. The East India Hospital with a chapel was established for the maintenance of widows of officers and seamen in the East India Company's service. [1]

A cemetery resides next to to All Saints Parish.

Churches and Chapels of Ease in Poplar All Saints Civil Parish[edit | edit source]

Here is a list of additional district churches and chapels within the civil parish of All Saints Poplar. The ancient parish of Poplar All Saints, Newby Place, East India Dock Road was consecrated in 1653 as a chapel-of-ease built by the East India Company in the High Street. It became a separate parish out of Stepney 1821, with new parish church on new site to which registers were transferred from the old chapel, now named St.Matthias [see below]. All Saints' is still open [by 1958 described as being with St. Nicholas Blackwall and S. Frideswide East India Dock Road]; 1971 united with St. Michael & All Angels Bromley and Poplar St. Saviour with S. Gabriel & S. Stephen to form Parish of Poplar. Youngs "The Parishes of England", gives 1817 as the date of the new parish, but the building was complete and the registers begin June 1821.

The district churches and chapels found within the borders of All Saints were as follows:

  • St Mary the Virgin Bromley-St Leonard 12th century
  • St Mary Stratford atte Bow - 1719
  • Poplar, St. Matthias, High Street [1867] enclosed East India Company Chapel of 1776 replacing chapel of 1654;
  • a chapel of ease to Stepney until 1817,
  • in Poplar All Saints until 1867, when gained separate parish and registers re-commence: when in 1823 All Saints became the parish church the registers had gone to All Saints.
  • As chapel, licensed for baptisms and burials from opening in 1653, but marriages ceased from 1754 (Hardwicke's Act) until became a parish church in 1867.
  • Marriages take place in Stepney 1754-1821, and in All Saints 1821-1967.
  • Still open 1966. Derelict by 1976, renovated 1991 as a community centre - there is a long description of this church in the "London Docklands" edition (1998) in Pevsner's "The Buildings of England"
  • St Stephen, North Bow. (Tredegar Road) - 1827
  • Christ Church, Manchester Road, Isle of Dogs [1857] - still open
  • Poplar, St. Luke, Strafford Street, Milwall [1857] bombed and demolished, worship in new hall-church, 1952 parish united with Christ Church St Michael & All Angels. Bromley by Bow - 1864
  • Poplar, St. Stephen, East India Road [1867] 1952 united to Poplar S. Saviour and Bromley St. Gabriel
  • St Gabriel South Bromley Chrisp Street - 1869
  • St John, Isle of Dogs - 1872
  • St Mark. Victoria Park - 1872
  • Poplar, St John, Manchester Road, Cubitt Town [1873] now gone?? -1952 parish united with Christ Church
  • All Hallows. Bromley by Bow (Devons Road) - 1874
  • Poplar, St. Saviour, Northumberland Street [later Northumbria Street] [1875] 1952 united with Bromley St. Gabriel & Poplar St. Stephen. 1971 united to All Saints, Poplar. 1975 church closed?
  • St Paul. Old Ford - 1878
  • All Hallows. East India Dock Road - 1879
  • St Peter. Garford Street Limehouse - 1885
  • Poplar, St Nicholas, Blackwall Stairs (Yabsley Street) (1900) bombed 1940 and closed 1941, not rebuilt. Mission Church in All Saints East India Dock Road. United with All Hallows, Abbott Road 1955 to form All Hallows, Aberfeldy Street.
  • St Andrew Bromley by Bow - 1901
  • Poplar, St Frideswide East India Dock Road/Lodore Street (1904) bombed WWII, closed 1947, not re-built, parish united to All Saints 1952.

Resources[edit | edit source]

Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]

Use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map

  • Type the name of the parish in the search bar
  • Click on the location pin on the map
  • Choose Options from the pop up box
  • Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church Records[edit | edit source]

The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.

Church of England[edit | edit source]

Due to the increasing access of online records:

  • Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
  • Dates in the following table are approximate

Hover over the collection's title for more information

Poplar All Saints Online Parish Records
Collections
Baptisms
Marriages
Burials
Indexes and images
Indexes only
Indexes and images
Indexes only
Indexes and images
Indexes only
FamilySearch Collections-Middlesex
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
FamilySearch Parish Registers-Middlesex
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog
1700s-1800s
-
1700s-1800s
-
1700s-1800s
-
FreeREG
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
Find My Past-Middlesex ($)
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
1400s-1900s
Find My Past (Westminster)-Middlesex ($)
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
1400s-1900s
Find My Past Banns-Middlesex ($)
-
-
-
1700s-1800s
-
-
Ancestry-London Church of England BMD (Early) ($)
1500s-1800s
-
1500s-1800s
-
1500s-1800s
-
Ancestry-London Church of England BMD (Late) ($)
1800s-1900s
-
1700s-1900s
-
1800s-2000s
-
Ancestry Marriage Bonds and Allegations-London and Surrey ($)
-
-
1600s-1900s
-
-
-
Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)
-
1800s-1900s
-
1800s-1900s
-
1800s-1900s
Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage
Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)
-
-
-
1500s-1800s
-
-
National Burial Index-FMP (Free)
-
-
-
-
-
1600s-1800s

Other Websites These databases have incomplete parish coverage.

Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]

Census Records[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


1640 Protestation Return[edit | edit source]

  • Stepney (including Limehouse, Poplar, Blackwall, Old Ford, Stratford Bow, Spitalfields, Bethnal Green, Mile-End, St. Leonard Bromley, and Ratcliffe) (House of Lords), Copy: FHL Film 1550096 item 25.

Probate Records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites[edit | edit source]

Poplar on GENUKI

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Online [| here], Adapted. Date accessed: 06 February 2014.