Ponteland, Northumberland Genealogy
Guide to Ponteland, Northumberland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Marys church Ponteland Northumberland
|Poor Law Union||Castle Ward|
|Registration District||Castle Ward|
|Parish registers: 1602|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1762|
|Rural Deanery||Newcastle upon Tyne|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Northumberland Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
PONTELAND (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland; comprising the townships of BerwickHill, Little Callerton, Coldcoats, Darras-Hall, HighamDykes, Kirkley, Milburn, Milburn-Grange, Ponteland, part of High Callerton, and part of Prestwick. There is a place of worship for Scottish Presbyterians.
PONTELAND, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Castle Ward district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Pont, 7 miles W of Dudley r. station, and 7½ N W of Newcastle; was formerly called Pont Island. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school. The sub-district contains also 5 other parishes, and part of another.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Ponteland parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ponteland Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
Nonconformist Records[edit | edit source]
- Northumberland Collections Service also has records of baptisms 1870-1923 and deaths 1899-1990 for Ponteland, St. Matthew (Roman Catholic).
- Early Wesleyan Methodist chapels in this area belonged to Newcastle West W.M. Circuit. Records for 1788-1837 can be seen at Northumberland Collections Service, Tyne and Wear Archives Service and are included on the IGI (listed as Brunswick Place or Orphan House).
FamilySearch Historical Records includes England, Durham Diocese, Marriage Bonds and Allegations - FamilySearch Historical Records
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Northumberland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 10 August 2013.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72). Adapted. Date accessed: 20 August 2013.
- Searching Parish Records online (Northumberland) - The Following Parishes are Available at TheGenealogist, ParishRegister.co.uk, accessed 23 April 2019.
Add any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.