Poland, Roman Catholic Church Books - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
|This article contains information about records in multiple collections. See the section Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections for a list of published collections.|
|Flag of Poland|
|Location of Poland in Europe|
|Location of Poland|
|Record Type||Church Books|
|Title in the Language:||Polska, Księgi metrykalne|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The earliest Catholic Church records in Poland date from 1537, but very few records exist from the 1500s; many date from the 1600s and 1700s to the present. Starting dates vary depending upon the region.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in Polish, Russian, and Latin. For help reading these records see:
- Poland Languages
- Polish Genealogical Word List
- Russia Languages
- Russian Genealogical Word List
- Russia Handwriting
- Latin Genealogical Word List
FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
- Reading Polish Handwritten Records
- Key Words and Phrases in Latin Records
- Reading Russian Handwritten Records
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Death and Burial
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- If available, check the image for additional information
- Analyze the entry to see if if provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the marriage records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the bride and groom who may have married in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- The person may be recorded with an abbreviated or variant form of their name
- Try searching by surname only
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Poland.
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Poland, Lublin Roman Catholic Church Books - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Poland, Radom Roman Catholic Church Books - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Poland, Gliwice Roman Catholic Church Books - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Poland, Częstochowa Roman Catholic Church Books - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Poland, Tarnow Roman Catholic Diocese Church Books - FamilySearch Historical Records
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.