Pentlow, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Pentlow, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Sudbury|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629; 1639; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Pentlow, is a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex; on the River Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 5 miles NW of Sudbury railway station. Post town is Sudbury.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Pentlow parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|Pentlow Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Pentlow on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted, date accessed: 19 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 11 September 2014.
- Essex Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 4 September 2014.
- 'Suffolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 3 December 2013.