Pennsylvania, Obituary and Marriage Collection - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Pennsylvania Obituary and Marriage Collection, 1947-2010
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Pennsylvania|
|Location of Pennsylvania|
|Old Buncombe County, North Carolina Genealogical Society, Asheville|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes records from 1947 to 2010. This collection of newspaper clippings was collected by the Old Buncombe County, North Carolina Genealogical Society. The publication data is given for each article. The records are announcements of:
The obituaries are from Berks, Lebanon and Lehigh County newspapers.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Pennsylvania Obituary and Marriage Collection, 1947-2010.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Wedding and anniversary announcements
Birth and baptism announcements
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of marriage or death
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the "Record Type"
- Select the "Year and Surname Range" to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find other vital records such as birth and death
- Use the information to find additional family members in census records
- The name of the undertaker, mortuary or officiator could lead you to church, funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members
- Search for additional information in church records
- Search for land and probate records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Pennsylvania.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.