Penkridge Poor Law Union, Staffordshire Genealogy
History[edit | edit source]
The poorlaw union of Penkridge comprises 21 parishes or places, and contains a population of 16,074.
From: , A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208 Date accessed: 22 March 2011.
The Union Workhouse was an old building at Brewood, enlarged between 1838 and 1842 to accomodate 200 people.
The townships of Penkridge, Coppenhall, Dunston, and Stretton were each supporting their own poor by 1834. Before the establishment of the Penkridge Union, with its workhouse first at Brewood and then at Cannock, the parish workhouse stood on the north side of Cannock Road, formerly Husbandman Street, opposite Reynolds Cottage. The building was used as cottages in the last half of the 19th century but has recently been demolished. The site is occupied by modern houses.
From: 'Penkridge: Introduction and manors', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 5: East Cuttlestone hundred (1959), pp. 103-126. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53403 Date accessed: 22 March 2011.
The Penkridge Poor Law Union was renamed On 14th March, 1877and became known as the Cannock Poor Law Union.
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and
Parishes in the Union[edit | edit source]
Acton Trussell, Staffordshire
Cheslyn Hay, Staffordshire
Church Eaton, Staffordshire
Great Wyrley, Staffordshire
Norton Canes, Staffordshire
Teddesley Hay, Staffordshire
Later additions Coven,St Paul, Staffordshire