Papua New Guinea Civil Registration
|Papua New Guinea Wiki Topics|
|Papua New Guinea Background|
|Local Research Resources|
How to Find the Records[edit | edit source]
Online Collections[edit | edit source]
- 1888-2004 - Papua New Guinea Births, 1888-2004. Not all have been digitized yet. Indexed in:
- 1884-1979 - New Guinea indexes to births, marriages and deaths, 1884-1979
- 1884-1967 - Birth index (New Guinea) 1884-1967. The records for this index are currently on film only and cannot be circulated to family history centers.
- 1892-1995 - Papua New Guinea Marriages, 1892-1995
- 1892-1974 - Marriage records, 1892-1980; indexes 1892-1978. Records are mostly for Europeans living in Papua and New Guinea. Only the indexes for 1892-1974 are online. The records are currently on film only and cannot be circulated to family history centers.
- 1867-2005 - Papua New Guinea Deaths. Deaths between 1983 and 2005 are not yet online as of 1 April 2020).
The following can only be used at family history centers or the Family History Library:
- 1964-1969 - Native death certificates, 1964-1969
Offices to Contact[edit | edit source]
Civil Registry Office
PO Box 470
National Capital District
Papua New Guinea
Sambra Haus - Waigani
Telephone: + (675) 313 3000 Ext:7002
Civil Registry Office - Boroko
Telephone: + (675) 323 6510
Historical Background[edit | edit source]
Time period: 1884-present
Prior to 1967 most entries are for non-natives. Records for the Territory of (German) New Guinea were destroyed during the Second World War, however, reconstructed registers were compiled afterwards. The available records have been indexed.
"Civil Registry Office is a statutory mandated entity responsible for registration of all vital events including birth, marriages and death registration including cases in separation, divorce and adoption."
Coverage and Compliance[edit | edit source]
Population coverage before 1967 is 5%; after 1967 is 80%
Information Recorded in the Records[edit | edit source]
Births[edit | edit source]
- Child’s name
- Birth date and place
- Parents’ names, residence, and occupation
- Witnesses’ ages, relationships, residences
Marriages[edit | edit source]
- Bride and groom names
- Marriage date and place
- Sometimes ages and/or birth dates and places
- Parents' names; residences, occupations
- Witnesses and officer who performed ceremony
- Former spouses
Death registers[edit | edit source]
- Name of deceased
- Death date and place
- Name of surviving spouse
- Informant’s name and residence
- Cause of death
- Sometimes birth date and place
- Parents’ names
- Children’s names
References[edit | edit source]
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Papua New Guinea,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 2000.
- Civil Registry Office, Papua New Guinea, accessed 2 April 2020.