Padstow, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to Padstow, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Padstow St. Petroc Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||St Columb Major|
|Registration District||St Columb|
|Parish registers: 1599|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||A Peculiar of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
PADSTOW (St. Petrock), a sea-port, market-town, and parish, in the union of St. Columb Major, hundred of Pyder, E. division of Cornwall, 14 miles WNW from Bodmin and 249 WSW from London. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans and Baptists. 
Padstow, (Cornish: Lannwedhenek) is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Cornwall.
The church is dedicated to St Petroc who lived here from AD 518 and afterwards settled at Bodmin where he died in AD 564. According to Bishop Bronscombe's registers, Edmund Stafford, Bishop of Exeter, licensed services in this church on 28th September 1415. There were a number of chapels in this parish from the medieval period.
The church of St Petroc is one of a group of three said to have been founded by the saint, the others being Little Petherick, Cornwall and Bodmin, Cornwall. It is quite large and mostly of 13th and 14th century date. There is a fine font of Catacleuse stone which is 15th century: the pulpit of ca. 1530 is also of interest. There are two fine monuments to members of the Prideaux family (Sir Nicholas, 1627 and Edmund, 1693): there is also a monumental brass of 1421.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Padstow, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Padstow, Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1803-1865 (banns)||1813-1901|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 170
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks[edit | edit source]
The Padstow section of the OPC website contains many records.
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable websites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Websites[edit | edit source]
Padstow in GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 525-530. Date accessed: 13 March 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 3 December 2013.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes.