Oxford County, Ontario Genealogy
|Ontario Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Oxford County ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1869 - 1911 Ontario Births, 1869-1911 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1858 - 1913 - Ontario, Canada Births, 1858-1913 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1869 - 1912 - Ontario Births, 1869-1912 at --index. ($)
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1801-1858 - Ontario, District Marriage Registers, 1801-1858 at FamilySearch — index and images.
- 1801-1928, 1933-1934 - Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928, 1933-1934 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1826 - 1938 Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1826-1938 at Ancestry.com - index and images ($)
- 1858-1869 - Ontario, County Marriage Registers, 1858-1869 at FamilySearch — index and images.
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1869-1937, and some 1939-1947 - Ontario Deaths, 1869-1937 and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and some 1939-1947 - Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1869 - 1948 Ontario, Canada, Deaths and Deaths Overseas, 1869-1948 at Ancestry.com - index and images ($)
Writing for a More Recent Birth, Marriage, or Death Record[edit | edit source]
- ServiceOntario, Birth Records is the only government-authorized source for obtaining birth certificates. Go to the section entitled "Order a Birth Search". This is the most economical, searches the widest time period, and allows searches for people not immediately related. A letter of information is provided rather than a certificate.
- ServiceOntario, Marriage Records offers a marriage search option and a historical certificate option.
- ServiceOntario, Death Records offers a death search option and a historical certificate option. Also official death certificates are available to a wider range of relatives than birth and marriage certificates.
FamilySearch Library Microfilmed Records[edit | edit source]
Some of the church/civil records have been microfilmed by FamilySearch.These microfilms may be available for viewing at Family History Centers around the world. To find a microfilm:
- a. Click on records for Canada, Ontario, Oxford County. You will see a list of available records for the county.
- b. You will also see above the list the link Places within Canada, Ontario, Oxford County. This will take you to a list of towns in the counties, which are links to records for the specific town.
- c. Click on any topic. Click on the blue links to specific record titles.
- d. Some combination of these icons will appear at the far right of the microfilm listed for the record. . The magnifying glass indicates that the microfilm is indexed. Clicking on the magnifying glass will take you to the index. Clicking on the camera will take you to an online digital copy of the microfilm.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Ontario and Nova Scotia Census, 1800-1842
Canada Census, 1851
Census of Canada, 1861
Census of Canada, 1871
Census of Canada, 1881
Census of Canada, 1891
Census of Canada, 1901
Census of Canada, 1911
Census of Canada, 1921
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Church records can include baptisms, marriages, burials, membership lists, financial business, and other records for a particular congregation. They may be available online or on microfilm, but frequently they are still with the local church or in centralized archives by religion. The Canadian census records asked for the religion of those listed, so you will be able to narrow down which archives to consult. For help with writing a letter requesting copies of records, see Letter Writing Guide for Genealogy.
- Link to Anglican church archives
- Link to Baptist church archives
- Link to Catholic church archives
- Link to Lutheran church archives
- Link to Moravian church archives
- Link to Presbyterian church archives
- Link to United Church of Canada (including Methodist) church archives
Online Church Records[edit | edit source]
These records are incomplete.
- Ontario Births and Baptisms, 1779-1899 collection includes indexed Ontario church records.
- Ontario Marriages, 1800-1910.
- Ontario, Roman Catholic Church Records, 1760-1923., images only.
- Ontario, Canada, Roman Catholic Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1760-1923, index and images, ($).
- Ontario, Canada, Catholic Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1802-1967
- Ontario, Canada, Roman Catholic Marriages, 1827-1870, ($).
- Various individual church records at FindMyPast, ($).
Cemetery Records[edit | edit source]
See, Ontario Cemeteries for information on cemetery record collections not yet digitized, but available in published sources and on microfilm.
Online Cemetery Records[edit | edit source]
- Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid website has a free, searchable database of over 2 million burials in Ontario. It can be searched by name, cemetery, county and town, but its references do not include dates of death. Although it does not include any gravestone inscriptions, it can be used to locate graves in Ontario.
- Ontario Cemetery Ancestory Index
- Ontario Name Index (TONI)
- The Ontario section of Canada GenWeb Cemetery Project
- Ontario, Canada Headstones.com
- Ontario, Toronto Trust Cemeteries (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Canada, Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Populated Places Table[edit | edit source]
|FORMER NAME, if applicable||TYPE||
|ANY NEW LOCATIONS IN FHL CATALOG???||Link|
Websites[edit | edit source]
The Forebears website will give you an extensive list of websites that could have information for people who lived in this county. Some sites cover just the county, some cover all of Ontario, and some cover all of Canada. Some sites are databases of names and facts about people; other sites cover background information such as maps, history, geography, or genealogy strategies and methods for the region.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Courtest of the Oxford Public Library:
Directories[edit | edit source]
Courtesy of The Oxford Public Library:
- 1852 Oxford Gazetteer by Thomas S. Shenston
- 1857-58 Directory of Oxford
- 1871 Gazetteer of Oxford County : Ingersoll (11 MB)
- 1877 Town of Ingersoll Voters' List NEW
- 1883 Town of Ingersoll Voters' List NEW
- 1894-95 Town of Ingersoll Directory
- 1908 Union Publishing Company's Directory of the Town of Ingersoll(12 MB)
- 1911 Town of Ingersoll Directory NEW
- 1927 Town of Ingersoll Telephone Directory NEW
Land and Property Records[edit | edit source]
Courtesy of the Oxford County Library:
Newspapers & Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Courtesy of Oxford County Library:
- Cemeteries in the County of Oxford
- Ingersoll and Area Cemetery Index
- Ingersoll Chronicle: BMDs Indexes (1854-1919)
- Ingersoll Tribune: BMDs Indexes (1897-1970)
- Ingersoll Times: BMDs Indexes (1969-1970)
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Courtesy of the Oxford County Library:
- 1896 - 1909 Town of Ingersoll Vital Statistics: Births (1896-1909)
- 1896 - 1924 Town of Ingersoll Vital Statistics: Marriages (1896-1924)
- 1896 - 1924 Town of Ingersoll Vital Statistics: Deaths (1896-1909)
- 1793 - 1858 Oxford County Genealogy Records: (1793-1858)