Overton, Wrexham, Wales Genealogy
A guide to genealogy in Overton, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
Overton (Welsh: Owrtyn), sometimes known as Overton-on-Dee, is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in a rural part of the County Borough of Wrexham, Wales Genealogy, Wales.
History[edit | edit source]
Overton became a town by the granting of a Royal Charter in 1292.
Ecclesiastical references of 1402 show that Overton was a chapelry of the parish of Bangor is y Coed. This parish was in the English diocese of Lichfield until 1541, when it was transferred to the newly created English diocese of Chester. In 1849 it was transferred to the Welsh diocese of St. Asaph.
The parish church of St. Mary's was built in the late 14th century but has seen much re-building.
On 20 December 1867, Overton became a separate parish, consisting of the townships of:
- Overton Foreign
- Overton Villa
|County bef 1974||add here|
|County 1 Apr 1974-31 Mar 1996||add here|
|County 1 Apr 1996 -||add here|
|Civ Reg District||Ellesmere (1881)|
|Reg Sub-district||Overton (1881)|
|Probate Court||add here|
|Rural Deanery||add here|
|Poor Law Union||Ellesmere|
Administration[edit | edit source]
|1before 31 March 1974||Flintshire (detached)|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
The parish of Overton formed part of the Ellesmere Registrar's District.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The following Overton Parish Registers have been deposited at the Flintshire Record Office in Hawarden:
|Baptisms||1602 - 1859|
|Marriages:||1602 - 1934|
|Burials||1602 - 1957|
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published many of the Overton parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Overton parish.
Nonconformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
There are no official records available on the IGI for Overton parish.
Civil Records[edit | edit source]
The parish of Overton formed part of the Overton sub-district of the Ellesmere Registration District and any entries for births, marriages or deaths from 1837 in Overton will appear as Ellesmere in the GRO Indexes.
Poor Law Union[edit | edit source]
The parish of Overton became part of the Ellesmere Union when it was created on 14 November 1836. The workhouse was built in Haughton, Ellesmere. The records for the Ellesmere Union are held at Shropshire Record Office in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.