Orange County, Vermont Genealogy
Guide to Orange County, Vermont ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Orange County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont, United States Genealogy
|Founded||October 18, 1785|
|Address||Orange County Courthouse|
5 Court Street, PO Box 95
Chelsea, VT 05038
Orange County Website
Description[edit | edit source]
The County is located in the east center area of the state. 
Orange County, Vermont Record Dates[edit | edit source]
|at town creation||at town creation||at town creation||1781||1771||1771||1790|
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death, burial and land records; County Clerk has divorce and court records from 1781 and land records from 1771; Probate Judge has probate records from 1771.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
West Fairlee 1779
Williamstown 1781 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
- 18 October 1785, Addison County set off.
- 5 November 1792, Caledonia, Essex and Orleans Counties set off.
- 1 November 1810, part of Jefferson County set off (renamed Washington County 8 November 1814.)
- 26 October 1835, Lamoille County set off.
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
- Wells River
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|VTTombstone Project||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Vermont Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
A transcript of the 1771 census of Gloucester County, New York survives:
Church[edit | edit source]
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861 - 1867 Vermont, Enrolled Militia Records, 1861-1867 at FamilySearch — index and images — How to Use this Collection
Regiments and Companies:
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Indexes and Records
- 1749 - 1999 Vermont Wills and Probate Records 1749-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1800 - 1921 Vermont Probate Files 1800-1921 at FamilySearch — images — How to Use this Collection
Orange County Probate Districts
- Randolph District - Braintree, Brookfield, Chelsea, Orange, Randolph, Tunbridge, Washington and Williamstown.
- Bradford District - Bradford, Corinth, Fairlee, Newbury, Strafford, Thetford, Topsham, Vershire and West Fairlee.
- Orange District - in 1994 the Randolph and Bradford Districts merged under the Orange District.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Town Records[edit | edit source]
- 1850-2005 - Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 at FamilySearch — index and images — How to Use this Collection
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
- 1732 - 2005 Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 at FamilySearch — index and images — How to Use this Collection
- 1850 - 2005 Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 at FamilySearch — index and images — How to Use this Collection
- Birth Certificate,
- Marriage Certificate ,
- Divorce Certificate,
- Civil Union Dissolution Certificate, or
- Death Certificate
Downloadable applications from Vermont Department of Health.
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Historical Societies[edit | edit source]
- Bradford Historical Society
Woods Academy Building
172 North Main Street
PO Box 424
Bradford, VT 05033
- Braintree Historical Society
2756 Braintree Hill Road
Braintree, VT 05060
- Brookfield Historical Society
PO Box 447
Brookfield, VT 05036
Email: [email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Chelsea Historical Society
P.O. Box 5
330 VT Rte 110
Chelsea, VT 05038
- Corinth Historical Society, Inc.
Corinth Academy Museum
1767 Center Road
Corinth, VT 05039
- Fairlee Historical Society
75 Town Common Rd
Fairlee, VT 05045
- Newbury Historical Society
155 Tyler Farm Rd
West Newbury, VT 05051
- Thetford Historical Society
16 Library Road
PO Box 33
Thetford, VT 05074
- Washington Vermont Historical Society.
Town Clerk's Office
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Center and Affiliate Library Locator map - search for local Family History Centers or Affiliate Libraries
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
- FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Affiliate Libraries
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Orange County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog FamilySearch Catalog for Orange County
- The Orange County VTGenWeb Project, a member of The VTGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Orange County
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Orange, Vermont" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_County,_Vermont accessed 6 Dec 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Orange County, Vermont . Page 698-699 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 686-687.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 699. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists, 181.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Orange_ County,_Vermont," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_County,_Vermont accessed 24 October 2019.
- Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 395. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- Harry Macy, "Newtown Census of 1771," The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol. 117, No. 1 (Jan. 1986):8. Digital version at New York Family History ($); FHL Book 974.7 B2n v. 117. The original census records were destroyed in a 1911 fire at the New York State Library.